Monday, August 23, 2010

Father’s Day

On the 3rd of June 2005, I lost my father quite suddenly after returning from an overseas trip to China. At the time, I was just 25 years of age and living at home with my parents. Even though I was surrounded by loving family and friends, it was the loneliest time of my life.

At the time I was dating my now husband Chris, who came complete with the most sweet natured Border Collie named Brando. I was never a huge fan of animals, but there was something special about Brando. When I was with him, I felt like everything would be ok. Brando become my friend and counsellor. He reminded me of his remarkable ability to “sense” my pain every time he’d cock his head in sympathy. Sometimes I would test him by “pretending” to cry; just to see what sort of reaction he’d give me. As predicted, he would either lick my risk or lay his head in my lap.

With Father’s Day just around the corner, I think about my dad several times a day. This is the First Father’s Day that I’m able to walk past a Hallmark display without feeling my eyes swell. Maybe it’s because Chris and I are expecting our first baby this October and I can feel my dad’s presence more than ever.

This Father’s Day, take a moment to celebrate your dad. Growing up I always thought very hard about what to buy my dad for Father’s Day, and in hindsight if I had my time again I wouldn’t buy him anything, I’d just say “I love you” over a family lunch or special day out.

2 comments:

  1. A very inspirational blog. tears rolled out of my eyes. Brando you took a very sensible decision.
    Supplements for Dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing blog.and brando indeed a very sweet dog.
    Loved your blog.
    luxury dog beds .

    ReplyDelete